Warning :Some readers may find this story very distressing.
Caoilte O Broin developed mental health difficulties and started to abuse alcohol. his family were told
“Nothing could be done to help Caoilte, because he drank heavily”
Caoilte had what health care professionals call a “dual diagnosis”.
Caoilte’s family went on social media looking for help for Caoilte. Sadly that help never arrived and Caoilte died on 2nd of January 2016.
We are very grateful to the O Broin family for allowing us to share their story. They are truly inspirational and brave people who wish to prevent other families suffering the way they have.
Reports on Caoilte O Broin’s story
- Link to the original Caoilte O Broin story where the family look for help
- Link to the Sunday Business Post article reporting that Caoilte has died
- Link to Bressie’s article on his attempts to find help for Caoilte
- Link to Bressie’s radio interview on Newstalk
- Link to Dual Diagnosis Ireland radio interview explaining why the O Broin’s could not find help
- Link to Irish Times article with Minister’s response on Dual Diagnosis
- Link to Bressie’s speech to Dail Joint Committee on Health and Children (Caoilte is discussed at 8:12 minutes)
- Report from Anyones Brother Vigil outside the Dail on the 11th February
- Link to Sunday Business Post review of “dual despair” 22nd february
- Link to Sunday Business Post “the deadly cost of a dual diagnosis” 22nd february
- Caoilte’s friend Colin shares his views on what happened
Need help for a loved one in a similar situation to Caoilte o Broin?
You can find a guide to getting help for your loved one here.
Affected by Caoilte’s story?
If you have been affected by hearing Caoilte’s story , you can get help from the Samaritans here 24 hours a day.
Help make sure this does not happen again.
Are you a media representative?
We can provide insights on the issues affecting addiction and mental health but cannot provide access to the O Broin family at this time. You might find this introduction to dual diagnosis useful and various reports can be found here.
Find out how to contact us here.